Friday, July 5, 2013

Pre-op tests and meetings

Yesterday, I had all of the pre-op tests and meetings to prepare for the transplant surgery next Tuesday. Next Tuesday? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

We arrived at the building in the UC Davis Medical Center complex around 8 AM.  The radiology department was right across from the front entrance and was the first place I had to go.  I waited about a minute before being called back for a couple of chest x-rays, which may have taken all of 30 seconds total.

Next was getting blood work done down the hall. It was nothing to me since it was a baby needle compared to the railroad spikes I'm used to at dialysis.  Parker had to have something like 11 vials drawn though. That was a bit rough for him. I wasn't even sure how many I had since I'm so used to it. He said the person told him I had 4. He felt a little off for a few minutes after having so much blood taken, but he was okay.

After bloodwork, we had meetings with the anesthesiologist.  We discussed various concerns dealing with the anesthesia side of the surgery. I got the standard "No food or drink after midnight."  I had an EKG, which came out fine.  While the nurse and resident was talking to me in one room, Parker was talking to someone else in another room about his part. The nurse and resident that talked to me were very nice and helpful. She answered any questions we had about that part of the process, and gave us her card in case we thought of anything later.

It was then time to leave that building and go over to the Transplant Center, which I'm very familiar with now. There was a short wait (Star Wars: Episode III was on the TV, which helped ease a little bit of the tension.) then Parker was called back.  I was called a few minutes later. A nurse took my blood pressure and weight then led me to a room to wait to see one of the doctors.  After waiting for a bit, there's a knock on the door and a lady walks in and introduces herself as Sharon Stencil.  I was very excited to meet Sharon as she is the Living Donor Coordinator.  She has been the person that Parker and I have been in contact with for the past year or so.  She's been the go-to person for any questions or concerns that we've had with getting Parker approved and moving along with the surgery process.  Neither one of us had met her in person before so it was nice to finally do so.  Sharon chatted with my mom and me for a bit, letting us know what the overall plan was for the rest of the day.

Parker was in another room down the hall, and my mom was going back and forth between the rooms the whole time we were there, trying not to miss anything. 

We waited a bit more, then the chief resident came in to do a quick physical.  Just as he grabbed the paperwork, the surgeon that will be performing my surgery came him.  The nurses, doctors, and staff there call him Dr. Krishnan, but his full name is... ready for this? Dr. Chandrasekar Santhanakrishnan. Yeah, I think Dr. Krishnan will work for me too.  This was certainly a great introduction though.  He was very relaxed and confident. He explained the basics of what is going to happen during my surgery.  He listened to all our questions and concerns and helped us understand the best he could.  While Dr. Krishnan was talking to me, Dr. Troppman, Parker's surgeon, was talking to him. The chief resident did a quick physical to make sure everything was still ok with me, and that was it with the doctors for the day. The pharmacist came afterwards and discussed the various medications I'll have to be on post transplant.  Sharon came back in after the pharmacist was finished and talked to all of us for a few minutes, and that was it. Tons of information and things to process.

I think I actually feel a little better after talking to the people.  I'm still very nervous though, of course, but it'll be fine.

Tuesday, wow.

2 comments:

  1. Christian: I will be praying for you both. You are in His hands and He loves you so much. I will also place you on our prayer chain at Valley Springs. Looking forward to cooking you both a yummy, post - op treat. Place your order!!!! HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete