Friday, October 11, 2013

3 months (?!?!?!)

 Wednesday was the 9th of October. This means it's been over 3 months since Parker and I had our transplant surgeries. Somehow, it both feels like a very long time and like it was just yesterday.

Parker is doing great. Besides a little discomfort sometimes, he's fully back to business, working 2 jobs and going to school. 

I'm feeling better and better every week. It's crazy when I think about it. The past 2 weeks or so, I've noticed a huge increase in energy. It's been fantastic. I have a very little amount of nerve pain sometimes but that's basically the only negative effect left over.

Tuesday was my checkup with the doctor at the transplant clinic. I saw a doctor I hadn't seen before, but it happened to be the one that orders my blood work so I was familiar with the name. He went over the medicines I have been taking. He said I could stop taking 4 of the meds, the antiviral, antibacterial, and 2 maintenance/comfort meds. That's awesome! I'm still taking quite a few, but that's a big drop. He answered a few questions I had, all with positive answers.  He also said I could go pretty much anywhere, without a mask even, as long as I'm careful to avoid sick people and such.  I only have to wear a medical mask when I go to doctor's offices and similar places. The doctor was reading over all of my information and he says "You can eat at restaurants." and continued to go through things. I didn't pick up on it at first, because I thought he had just said I can't. He continued by saying "as long as the food is well cooked." I caught on a second later and asked "Wait, I CAN?!" So I'm free to eat just about anywhere as long as it's cooked, so as of right now, only things like salad and uncooked sushi are off limits.  He switched me from once weekly blood work to once every two weeks, probably going to once a month at the end of the year. I don't have to have another checkup until January.  I couldn't have asked for a better report. It was so awesome. I wasn't expecting to be cleared for most of those things until January. January came early!

I went by my old dialysis clinic to say hello since I had the okay. Everyone was super excited to see me. It was great to see them too. It must be very rewarding for them to see one of their patients able to improve and move on with their life.

This week has been extremely positive. I guess I have to let it sink in now. It was always January. Now, it's now. Now to just figure out where to go from here. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment